Grilled New Potato Salad
about 4-6 servings | 50 min. (+1 hr. cooling)
- 3 tbsp sunflower (or canola) oil
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2½ lbs new potatoes, washed and cut in half
- ½ lb pancetta or sugar free bacon, in ¼” diced
- 3 medium Vidalia or sweet onions, cut crosswise in ½” slices, skewered
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 fresh chives, diced
- 3 tbsp finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 tbsp finely chopped thyme
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp chicken or vegetable broth
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare grill.
- Toss potatoes with the olive oil, salt, and pepper. Place potatoes over the hot side of the grill, and cook until nicely browned on all sides, about 2-3 minutes per side. When browned, move to cool side of the grill and cover. Cooking an additional 10-15 minutes, until the potatoes can be easily pierced with a paring knife. Remove the potatoes from the grill and set aside to cool.
- Cook pancetta in skillet over medium heat until crispy and fat has almost completely rendered. Remove pancetta bits with a slotted spoon and add them in with the cooling potatoes. Reserve the rendered fat and add about 1 tbsp sunflower or canola oil.
- Brush onion slices with reserved pancetta fat and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook on the hot side of the grill until browned and tender, about 5-7 minutes per side. Baste with pancetta fat again 1/2 way through cooking process. Remove onion slices from the grill, cut into quarters, and add them in with the potatoes and pancetta bits. Add the parsley, chives, and thyme in with potatoes.
- In a medium bowl whisk together all the ingredients for the dressing. Pour dressing over the potatoes and toss gently to evenly coat. Allow potato salad to sit out at room temperature for 1 hour before serving.