Coconut Oil Biscuits
12 biscuits | 20 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ cup coconut oil (room temperature)
- ¾ cup unsweetened plain almond milk
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add coconut oil to dry mix and cut into mixture until the texture is similar to fine crumbs. Stir in the milk until a soft dough that no longer sticks to the sides of the bowl is formed. Knead the dough until combined, but do not over-knead.
- Turn the dough out onto a cutting board that has been lightly dusted with flour and gently roll into a ½ in. thickness. Use a biscuit cutter (or other item that can create a 2 in. circle) to cut out the biscuits and transfer to a baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the biscuits have risen and ever so slightly begin to brown on top. Remove and serve immediately.
Grilled New Potato Salad
about 4-6 servings | 50 min. (+1 hr. cooling)
- 3 tbsp sunflower (or canola) oil
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2½ lbs new potatoes, washed and cut in half
- ½ lb pancetta or sugar free bacon, in ¼” diced
- 3 medium Vidalia or sweet onions, cut crosswise in ½” slices, skewered
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 fresh chives, diced
- 3 tbsp finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 tbsp finely chopped thyme
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp chicken or vegetable broth
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare grill.
- Toss potatoes with the olive oil, salt, and pepper. Place potatoes over the hot side of the grill, and cook until nicely browned on all sides, about 2-3 minutes per side. When browned, move to cool side of the grill and cover. Cooking an additional 10-15 minutes, until the potatoes can be easily pierced with a paring knife. Remove the potatoes from the grill and set aside to cool.
- Cook pancetta in skillet over medium heat until crispy and fat has almost completely rendered. Remove pancetta bits with a slotted spoon and add them in with the cooling potatoes. Reserve the rendered fat and add about 1 tbsp sunflower or canola oil.
- Brush onion slices with reserved pancetta fat and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook on the hot side of the grill until browned and tender, about 5-7 minutes per side. Baste with pancetta fat again 1/2 way through cooking process. Remove onion slices from the grill, cut into quarters, and add them in with the potatoes and pancetta bits. Add the parsley, chives, and thyme in with potatoes.
- In a medium bowl whisk together all the ingredients for the dressing. Pour dressing over the potatoes and toss gently to evenly coat. Allow potato salad to sit out at room temperature for 1 hour before serving.
Raw Chocolate and Raspberry Mousse Cake
10 servings | 15 min. (+4 hrs. chilling)
- 1 ½ cup Medjool dates
- 1 ½ cup raw almonds
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil
- Mousse filling
- 3 large ripe but firm avocados
- ½ cup raw cacao powder
- ½ cup (local) honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup frozen raspberries
- ¼ cup cacao nibs
- ½ cup frozen raspberries, crumbled, to top
- To make the base, place the dates, almonds and cacao in a food processor and process until you have a fine crumble.
- Add the coconut oil and process until combined.
- Line a cake tin (with a removable base) with baking paper. Press the base into the bottom of the cake tin ad set aside in the fridge.
- Put the avocado flesh, cocoa, maple syrup, and vanilla in a food processor and puree until very smooth, scraping down the sides occasionally.
- Place one cup of frozen raspberries and cacao nibs into the mixture and blitz for a couple of seconds.
- Scoop the mixture into the cake tin on top of the prepared base.
- Decorate the top with ½ cup of raspberries.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap, and chill for at least 4 hours or until set.
- Place in the freezer. Remove from freezer and allow to soften a little before serving.
Original: http://www.realfoodpledge.com/?p=1816 and http://petitcochonde95.blogspot.ca/2012/10/dark-chocolate-avocado-cremeux.html