Bringing the library to you
I have decided to finally look into adding the library to outside tools. The easiest and thus first on the list are the OpenSearch search engine option and an iGoogle gadget. They are still in beta, so please let me know if something doesn’t work right.
OpenSearch is the search feature that was added directly to the browser, typically located in the top right corner right after the address bar. Google is the default search, but the drop down arrow will give you more options.
- need either Internet Explorer 7 or Firefox 2.0
- You will notice a subtle difference in the background color of the search dropdown.
- In IE7, JoCoLibrary will have a star next to it in your list now. To add, simply select it.
- In Firefox, an “Add JoCoLibrary” engine message will appear at the bottom of the list. Simply select it.
go to http://www.jocolibrary.org/
and now you can search the library catalog whenever you want to!
With Google one can create a customized homepage called iGoogle. Many people have created widgets you can add to your homepage, and now you can search the library’s resources from it!
- need to have a Google account and be logged in.
- click on the following link and click on the add button:
If anyone would like to beta test these two new features, I would greatly appreciate it! I have several more ideas to bring the library to you, but some feedback on their usefulness and overall appearance/functionality would be very helpful. Thank you!
3 thoughts on “Bringing the library to you”
Hey, the widget on my iGoogle page, and on Julie’s page, is showing an error. It says: “Error parsing module spec:
Element ‘Require’ is an unknown or unsupported XML element
Did you mean ‘MayRequire’?” Just thought you’d like to know.
Bummer! I tried to add a statistics piece to it to see if anyone is using it. I’ll remove the statistics piece until I look into the problem further then. Thank you! 😀
I made a change, but Google is behaving particularly slow today. I am not sure how frequently it takes changes (right now the “add” page doesn’t even work), so I’ll check tomorrow to see if the error is gone. Thank you again!
Comments are closed.